1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I give my hen another chick? When to reintroduce new family?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenphile, Apr 4, 2009.

1. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    My silkie hatched 1 out of 5 eggs and is still in the broody pen. The chick is doing fine but should I add another day old chick to keep it company or will the hen reject it?

Also when should I introduce mom and daughter back to the flock? I am worried about the other hens killing the chick. The other ladies are standards.

thanks
    Chris

2. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    Can someone please help?

thanks
    Chris

3. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    The answer to that is. No

Usually hens will reject any chicks gave to them after the others have all hatched . Usually a chick has to hatch under the hen for her to accept it.

I would keep the others away from the hen and chicks for atlease 2 months.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  4. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    You don't have to add another chick. But you can. I have introduced storebought chicks successfully on several occasions. I only had one chick rejected ever. How long has it been since the chick hatched? With natural brooding they don't neccessarily hatch on the same day.
    I wait about a week before I introduce the momma and chicks to the flock. My reason is that rats have carried away my babies, when they were very young. Momma hen will fiercely protect her young even against bigger standard hens. Sometimes one of the other hens or the rooster will also look after the chicks. I have a mixed flock of standards and bantams. My silkie did a great job raising chicks.

5. chickieboy

chickieboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    broken bow
    u can put another chick under her when it dark , i just put 2 chicks under my silkies hen, a welsummer and a black silke with her 4 chicks she already hatch u just have to watch to make sure she will take thens if she call and they come to her she will take then

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by