Should I give my hens a choice of coop please?

PaulaMc

Chirping
Oct 29, 2016
Bolton, England
Hi everyone. This is my first post on this great site. I am in Manchester, England.
1f600.png

Have got 3 ex battery hens and 3 black silkies, 2 are miniature.

The problem is that the big girls dominate one of the miniatures in the coop and often sit on her in the nest boxes. The ex batts tend to sleep in nest boxes as they have never roasted. I have 2 coops so should I let the silkies have the smaller one?
Have had the silkies for about a month and the big girls since May.
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks so much
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f600.png

Two coops usually doesn't work too well, especially if both are too small for all of the birds. They tend to choose one coop, and everyone piles in. This leads to a lot of flock tension, even though there is another coop completely empty. Flock mentality.
You need a minimum of 4 sq ft of coop space per bird.

Two coops usually doesn't work too well, especially if both are too small for all of the birds. They tend to choose one coop, and everyone piles in. This leads to a lot of flock tension, even though there is another coop completely empty. Flock mentality.
You need a minimum of 4 sq ft of coop space per bird.
Hi
Didn't think of that so really appreciate the advice
1f600.png

welcome-byc.gif
I understand UK silkies are large fowl, here in the US they are bantam size. The banties aren't very good flying (wrong wing feathers) but can jump high. They usually like to pile up in a corner on the floor. I don't know if the large ones act the same. Other breeds tend to bully polish and silkies because they look so different. Hens tend to want to use the same nest box even if there are several identical ones. When the others get tired waiting they will often climb in and lay an egg on top of the resident hen.

Back
Top Bottom