Should I give my sick hen ivomec? Any advice for me? UPDATE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by augustwest, Jan 7, 2011.

1. augustwest

augustwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North central mass
    Chicken is a 10 month old EE hen, named Rita. She was laying eggs but stopped (with my other EE) mid-November. My other 3 hens are doing that first mini-molt. This hen has not. She started wasting away and having loose stools about 2 weeks ago- her dirty butt brought this to my attention. Nothing but a cold snap changed. She's got plenty of room in her coop and yard with her 5 friends. No mites that I can see. No worms in the poop. I thought egg bound, impacted crop, upper respiratory, mareks- but she's not fitting anything.

She's been sick-sick for 10 days. I've had her caged the entire time and almost culled her twice. She had terrible, runny diarrhea from the start. She's thin and the poop is green (electric) and white. Not terribly smelly. Her bum is caked (I've given her one bath and she;'s about to get another). Her appetite has been crappy, but she's almost always at least willing to eat a bite.

I've been doing all I think that I can: force feeding yogurt mix when she's not eating, giving vitimin drops, I tried olive oil, offered every food I can think of, I have given sub-Q fluids (this forum rocks and gave me the confidence to do it- I give them to cats all the time)- all supportive care. I thought that I got some food or fluid in her lungs as she started sounded like a rattle and was coughing. I started her on that durmex tetracycline and that seemed to help the respiratory symptoms.

She just seems to be hanging on. She's super alert and always intersted in her surroundings. She's not been able to walk for the last 7 days. Her face and comb are red. She doesn't seem to drink, but I've been dipping her beak to get her to at least take something.

I've had her in the garage with a heat lamp, but brought her in last night. She's been on the antibiotic for 2 days. I saw a solid poop about 4 days ago, but no more.

This am, she stood up and ate hulled sun flower seeds and pellets like they were going out of style. What the heck!??

So, from what I can tell the green poop maybe poisoning, liver failure, or worms? My vet let me take a cc of ivomec (for cattle and pigs) this am, but I have no idea how much to give her. I bet she'd give me some tylan if I asked, but the poop is my biggest concern now.

Any suggestions? I really appreciate all the help on this forum.

Just adding that I went in to visit her and she's no longer able to stand (she was weakly standing this am, but it was a vast improvement). But, I gave her an ear of corn to see if she was interested and she went crazy for it. She pecked at it for several minutes and then went after the sunflower seeds again. However, her poop is almost liquid at this point.

I'd really appreciate any help....

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Could she be eggbound? Probably not since she stopped laying so long ago.I really have no c lue, but I guess at this point, worming wouldn't hurt.
    I'm sorry, wish I could help more.
    Sometimes, certain disease/illnesses for poultry cannot be cured, as in cancer, heart disease, kidneys, etc. and that may be what she has.

3. augustwest

Nov 24, 2010
    North central mass
    Thanks for the reply. I agree- it may be that this is just going to continue and she'll end up dead one way or another. It's just that she's so alert and seems pretty content. I just wish that she'd go in one direction or the other! The bath seemed to wipe her out, but she fought me on it. She's making a few barking sounds as of this afternoon, but she's eating corn with vigor. What the heck!??!

I think that you're right, I'll just worm her and see what happens.

Any idea where I'd give the injection? I found the dosage (this site rocks), but where do I give it? I can post another message if I need to.

Again, thanks!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. augustwest

Nov 24, 2010
    North central mass
    Thank you! That link was perfect. I will worm her tomorrow. My vet gave me some tylan, too, so let's see.

I made her some vitamin/antibiotic water and she drank like she hasn't in days. And, she gobbled up some bread. So, her appetite is better. Her breathing issues are still there- hopefully the tylan will help. I'm hoping that it's not congestive heart failure, or something. Like I said above, I just want this to resolve one way or the other. She can't stay inside much longer- the flock won't take her back and it's too cold!

Anyhow, thanks for the link

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by