Should I Give My Week Old Silkie Chicks Duramycine?

Lisa0318

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
Phoenix AZ
Hi im new here on this website and i had a question about my new babys and i would really apreciate all the help i can get from here. I had to give my hens duramycine for a cold about a month ago and i purchased some baby silkies a couple days ago, my question is do i give it to the babys as well? i have six babys and one is really sad and just sleeps most of the time, I have them inside in there brooder the tempeture is fine im giving her water by dipping her beak in it but she eats so little, I am feeding them chick start and growth from the feed store, and she seems really weak the others seem more alert but this one is just so tiny and dosent seem interested in anything like the others. She is the smallest one. Any advise would be gratefull thank you.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I am so sorry to hear you lost your baby chick, sometimes they just fail to thrive. hopefully the rest will continue to be healthy and strong. again very sorry.
hugs.gif

First of all, I'm sorry you lost one. Second, chickens do not get head colds. Most likely your hens had Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD) /Mycoplasmosis or something similar, in which you can treat symptoms but they remain carriers. Have the chicks been in contact with the hens? If so, they could have contracted what the hens have. If not, healthy chicks shouldn't be given antibiotics, so I'd say no, don't give them any.

Back
Top Bottom