Should I give the chicks to broody ? Chick killing broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosiethechicken, Jun 28, 2011.

1. rosiethechicken

rosiethechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    This is first time my BR went broody and we gave her 3 eggs. She sat 3 weeks and then stomped on one, two are found dead in the coop (could be other hens).

So separated the broody and gave another 3 eggs. She sat again for next 3 weeks. On day 19th, found a bloody egg. Chick was alive inside, but died later under bulb.
    So took remaining two eggs and put them under 40W lamp.

One hatched this morning and I am waiting on the other (no sign of external movement or internal pip).

Should I take risk and give the hatched chick to BR broody ? If I put it under in the night, how likely she will kill it (just like she did with the egg) ?

First time hatching. Heartbroken at the losses but excited with the new chick arrival.

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Some hens will not do well raising chicks. It really is a judgement call if you want to take a chance with the chick and give it to her to see how she does. Yes, placing the chick at night tends to give better results with the hen accepting it, but it is not a guarantee she will be good at being a mom. That is usually learned through trial and error.

3. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I would be very careful. If she had a hard time hatching thm herself she may have an even harder time accepting a chick she didn't hatch. some hens are just hatched to be mothers. Others are not [​IMG]

4. rosiethechicken

rosiethechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    Everyone in the house is debating. We have 5 hens in the backyard. Is this chick going to survive if we brood ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by