Should I give them ALL a bath?

CluckyCluck

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 4, 2012
I have 14 in my flock. When I got the original 4 they had some red mites on them. I dusted them and thought they went away. Then, got more chickens.

Today when I picked up one of my little ones and was scratching around on him and lifting his feathers, I saw those little suckers running around. If they're on him, they're on them all for sure.

I'm going to completely clean out my coop (which is only like 2.5 months old) and put new bedding in there.
Should I bathe them AND dust them, or if I dust every few days will that be fine?

I just want to take care of this once and for all.

Did you only dust the birds once? Dusting them only kills the live bugs not the eggs. You need to redust about 7-10 days after the first dusting. If you only dusted once then they never really went away. If you did redust then I would imagine they came from the new birds. I would clean out the whole coop really well (red mites can live in wood and bedding). Put in all new bedding mixed with DE and dust the birds. You don't need to bathe them, just dust them really well all over, especially under their wings and around their vent. Repeat in 7-10 days and then check them and do a third if necessary.

I usually dust new birds before I put them in the coop just in case. Because this same thing has happened to me.

Last edited:
Yes I just dusted one time. At the time, they did not have a coop and just had a little makeshift one from TSC. Since I didnt see them again, I didn't think they were still there since they had no real coop to take residence in.

I'm sure the first 4 are the culprits.. Last time I dusted, I put it in a pillow case, and dropped each bird in there and shook it gently - I dont know if that's great because they dont lift up their wings I wouldn't think, for it to get under there.

Someone suggested I put it in a sock and shake it up under their wings - or maybe a salt shaker? I just wanted to get it done!!!

What's the best way?

Did you only dust the birds once? Dusting them only kills the live bugs not the eggs. You need to redust about 7-10 days after the first dusting. If you only dusted once then they never really went away. If you did redust then I would imagine they came from the new birds. I would clean out the whole coop really well (red mites can live in wood and bedding). Put in all new bedding mixed with DE and dust the birds. You don't need to bathe them, just dust them really well all over, especially under their wings and around their vent. Repeat in 7-10 days and then check them and do a third if necessary.

I usually dust new birds before I put them in the coop just in case. Because this same thing has happened to me.
x2
The only difference is that I recommend sevin dust instead of DE.

I have also heard people suggest the sock method and the pillow case method but have never tried either.

I have done it two ways. If you have someone to help you, you can have them hold the bird. I have my fiance grab their feet with one hand and support their chest right where they roost with the other so they won't panic. That way I have access to all the feathered parts. And they are relaxed and let me move their wings and stuff. I then start at the top and work down and under sprinking and rubbing it into their feathers. It is better if you wear a mask for your own health.

If I am alone I hold them by their feet and ankles in one hand and flip them upside down. If you do this you need to work very fast and only hold them upside down for a few seconds. They will throw up if you hold them upside down too long and can get fluid in their lungs. not good, but if you need more time just right them, give them a little break and then go again.

When you flip them upside down they relax and spread their wings so you can dust under them really well. I then flip them back up and do the top and rub it in. Try not the get in their eyes/face. I don't flip my silkie but she is more patient anyway. All the regular hens I flip.

I have used Sevin and DE in the past. DE is best to prevent and Sevin is stronger so it is better if you already have a problem. It is more toxic though while DE can be eaten no problems.

Last edited:
I've always used a pillow case to dust my birds. Just gotta wear old clothes, shoes, and a mask. The red chicken mite is not one to mess with. It's best to use sevin when dealing with mites since thay can kill a chicken in short order. DE may prevent, but the big guns are needed once mites are present.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140

It was messy and I should have wore a mask and gloves, but it needed to be done before dark and I didn't have those things available lol.

So, a runny nose, a white shirt and powdered hands - my daughter abandoned me cause she thought it was going to kill her, and left me with my oldest daughters boyfriend who was a trooper.

He just held each chicken, I lifted wings and sprinkled, turned over sprinkled belly and I rubbed it all in on each one. I hope it works.

Cleaned out the coop entirely sprinkled it around the edges of the coop and then put in all fresh bedding. Ohhh they'll have a good sleep tonight. Hopefully.

Additionally, just in case, I wormed them too. I'm no pharmacist and I suck at math so I just I dunno, hopefully did it right. It says 60ml for 100 birds in 3.8 gallons of water. I put 5ml in 5 gallons of water.

I just winged it on that one. Ugh, hopefully these mites will go the heck away.

Back
Top Bottom