should i have a roost bar for chicks if im using brinsea ecoglow

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by applecore5, Jul 29, 2013.

1. applecore5

applecore5 In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Elizabeth, CO
    i am getting 15 babies mid august. I purchased a Brinsea ecoglow 20 and i was wondering if i should put a roost bar for the chicks in the brooder? or will the roost bar take them away from the ecoglow and cause them to be too chilly? thanks.

2. five is my dog

five is my dog Songster

Jul 4, 2013
    you have to have a roost for chicks

3. I made one for mine when they were about a week old, it was for fun, they still slept all together on the brooder floor, but had great fun "trying" to roost...it didn't take them long for some of them to figure it out. Mine are now 5 weeks and in the coop and though they have real roosts there, they still choose, to sleep together on the floor at night but will roost during the day..so I guess it would be up to you, if you wanted to make a little DIY one or something, for their entertainment, but not really nessesary in the brooder [​IMG] if you don't have anything to make one out of, or can't buy one??? I don't even know if they make little ones????

I made mine out of tree branches I cut, outside...was prolly half inch thick?

Congrats on the little ones!

4. applecore5

applecore5 In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Elizabeth, CO
    thank you! yes we can make one. i just want to be sure they wont get cold if they choose to roost away from the eco glow. i'm used to heat lamps where their roost bar was just on the outside of the heat. with the eco glow there is no way to do that cause its just on the floor.

5. five is my dog

five is my dog Songster

Jul 4, 2013
    ahhhh sorry at first i said you have to have a roost for chicks but i meant you DONT have to have a roost for chicks! sorry!!! my bad! [​IMG]

6. Nahh, chicks are self regulating, if they get cold, they will go under the ecoglow, if not, they will run around, eat, drink, poop, and sleep a lot...they will fall asleep in the weirdest places and at the weirdest times!!! They just stop and drop [​IMG]careful of the water container, I have heard some OP's have had chicks drown by falling asleep in the water. People put marbles or clean rocks in the water to keep them from that fate!

Welcome

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: