Should I have a rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Phionex Boy, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Phionex Boy

Phionex Boy Chirping

Jul 29, 2014
    Beaufort,SC
    Hey! I am wondering if i need a rooster... I have a flock of 6 hens and i want them to be protected during the day while he sleeps in another coop. I really want to keep at least 1 out of my 3 roos but if he will hurt them over-mating then i might rethink it.

2. LRH97

LRH97 Songster

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    If you only keep one roo, you shouldn't have major problems with over mating. Now, he may pick a "favorite" hen, but a chicken saddle usually takes care of that if the problem arises. If you do free range, I personally think you should have at least one roo in the flock to offer some degree of security (Or maybe a guinea or two!). One roo to every 10-12 hens is a good ratio. (One roo for six is fine too, but if you have any more than that, you will probably end up with torn up hens)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  3. Phionex Boy

Phionex Boy Chirping

Jul 29, 2014
    Beaufort,SC
    What is a guinea?

4. texaschickyall

texaschickyall In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2014

A loud yelling squawking alarm covered in pretty feathers.

1 person likes this.
  5. LRH97

LRH97 Songster

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    [​IMG] Best description of Guinea Fowl ever! Here's a picture of one Phionex Boy.
    [​IMG]

6. Phionex Boy

Phionex Boy Chirping

Jul 29, 2014
    Beaufort,SC
    what does it do

7. texaschickyall

Jul 7, 2014
    They are like a barking dog. If anything comes near the coop, mine go crazy yelling. It's not a pretty sound. They arent neccesarily aggressive, more of an alarm system to get your attention. Mine roost in in the trees above our coop night, they are decent short distance flyers. My male will attack the goats if they try to eat from the chickens food.

They are good birds. Very wild so don't expect a pet. Just ALOT of noise.

8. texaschickyall

Jul 7, 2014
    I shouldnt say attack. More like chase and squawk at them. They do this with my little terrier too. They could care less about me but go crazy when other people are looking at chickens. You can hardly talk over their racket

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: