Should I have my chicks come vaccinated?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ch1ckenlover, Jan 26, 2016.

1. ch1ckenlover

ch1ckenlover Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2015
    VA
    In a few weeks I will be ordering my chicks from Murray McMurray hatchery, and I was wondering if I should get them vaccinated. My Aunt has never had hers vaccinated, and they seem to do fine.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm assuming you're talking about having them vaccinated for Marek's Disease? I would recommend getting the vaccination. Marek's is a terrible disease that unfortunately is rather common. The vaccine offers pretty good protection, for only a few additional cents per chick.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    That's a matter of personal choice. What would you want to vaccinate them for? I'm a member in the camp that says, "I'll not vaccinate." I've never had disease issue with my birds. That's not to say that I never will. But if I do, I expect that I'll cull any diseased birds. This will breed strength into my flock over time. Mareck's disease vaccination merely masks the disease, or prevents the many lethal complications of the disease, while it doesn't provide immunity. Therefore, if you bring unvaccinated chicks into a vaccinated flock at a later date, it could be lethal to the newcomers.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x2! It's cheap and it's too late to have it done later. Mary

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I say absolutely YES!! it's only a dollar and God knows Mareks is a heartry breaking debilitating thing to have. it's also VERY CONTAGIOUS.it's also VERY PREVALENT.spread in the wind even. do yourself and your birds a favor and spend the dollar. YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID. My breeders entire flock was compromised by Mareks. it's absolutely devastating.also the vaccine is NOT THE DISEASE it does NOT CAUSE MAREKS.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by