Should I have my silkie chick roost at night

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rhodeislandsilkie, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Rhodeislandsilkie

Rhodeislandsilkie In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2018
    Hi, I’m new to this website and I just started today. I was just checking on my 8 week old chicks and I noticed that out of the 10 chicks, 9 were already roosting while my only silkie that survived the past months was chirping loudly on the floor of the coop. So I put here on the roost with the others she seemed to like it. But I have a feeling that she will get hurt because the other chicks are much larger than her and I don’t want her to get pushed off in the middle of the night and get injured. What should I do? Thanks in advance!:wee

BlackHackle likes this.
  2. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Songster

Aug 14, 2017
    I wouldn't worry about it. The birds have a way of "working" things out between themselves. And remember, Silkies don't have flight feathers on their wings like most other birds and they will probably spend their nights on a low roost they can jump up onto. Unless you want them crying every night for you to put them up on a high roost, I wouldn't train them to expect that special treatment. They need to learn that they are different from the other birds in some ways.

3. Rhodeislandsilkie

Jul 13, 2018
    Thank you for the response EggWalrus it’s good to know that she will be fine maybe I should put a lower roost for her tomorrow. My silkie will be happier because of you now. Thanks.

BlackHackle likes this.
  4. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Songster

Aug 14, 2017
    If it was me, I'd put another broom stick, limb, piece of wood or what ever you you about a foot off the floor, but close to the other roost. Not under it, unless you like a poo covered silkie. My Silkies have "roosted" on the floor of the hen house since they were born. I'd catch them trying to get up to roost with the other birds when they were real little, but it didn't take them long to come to terms with the fact that they just aren't made to fly like their buddies.

5. Rhodeislandsilkie

Jul 13, 2018
    Thank you for the advice I’ve had a piece of wood in the garage that I’ve been meaning to use. I just hope that she likes it because, before the other chicks were old enough to go on the roost they would sleep together and the silkie would sleep right in the middle of the pile. Oddly enough she is the oldest of the bunch. Thanks again.

BlackHackle likes this.
  6. Colorado Chick

Colorado Chick Songster

Sep 27, 2014
    You can create a ramp for them to walk up to get to their buddies. Note: some hens get bossy and guard the top of the ramp and won't let any one up. So provide more than one access to the roost

7. Rhodeislandsilkie

Jul 13, 2018
    Yeah I was thinking of something like that maybe a block of wood that they could jump on and then to the roost like a stair case. Thank you!

BlackHackle and Colorado Chick like this.
  8. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Songster

Aug 14, 2017
    Great ideas! I like it!

9. Rhodeislandsilkie

Jul 13, 2018
    Thank you, for that positive feedback! Always appreciate it!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    BlackHackle likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: