1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

should i have the same number of breeds in my flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jeds chickens, Mar 27, 2016.

1. jeds chickens

jeds chickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2013
    rural IA
    Right now we only have 2 red star/ sexed link hens, after loosing some to sickness. We have never introduced new chickens to them before, and we are planning on getting 4 new baby chicks, so a total of six chickens, but we are wondering if we should get 4 new chicks, all the same breed, or would it be better to get 2 different breeds of 2 chickens each. We are deciding between golden laced wyandotte, or americanas, we cant get any red star chicks because they stopped offering them. so if you have any recommendations on breeds that would be great. We would like to get 2 americanas, and 2 golden laced wyandotte, but if it would cause less stress for the hens, we get 4 of the same breed new chicks. Thanks in advance!

2. sawilliams

sawilliams Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    Heck get a 1 or 2 of each, they won't know they are different breeds and the different colors and much funner to look at

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Similar breeds sometimes stick together, but if everyone is different they won't care. There can be a problem if you try adding one polish or one silkie, crested breeds will often be singled out, so always get batches of those to minimize such problems.

1 person likes this.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree with this.

As long as they're all production/dual purpose/layer/farm type birds, you can pretty much mix and match to your heart's content. Ornamentals can be difficult to add to a flock of production birds.

You just need to be sure you have enough space for that many birds.

Lots of different breeds (and mixed breeds) enjoying stall cleaning day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. jeds chickens

jeds chickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2013
    rural IA
    Thanks, I reasearched about that with polish breeds, Thanks for the info, I think i will go for 2 different breeds then!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by