Should I heat my coop?

AlexEve

Chirping
May 9, 2020
Calgary, Alberta
The past 24 hours have been really cold, at temps of -20°C (-4°F). I have 3 hens in a relatively cozy coop, meaning they generate enough heat to keep the coop at a decent temperature. Their door is open during the day so they can go out into the run if they need to (they have chosen to stay mainly inside today) However, the forecast says the temperature will be around this low for the next few days. I’m wondering if I should heat the coop over that period, or let my birds sit it out? They’re cold hardy breeds with thick plumage, so they’ve been ok at least for today. If I should heat my coop, what’s the best option for heating? Thanks

I think they will be fine. If you close the door, is there other ventilation? Is it wet and windy, or just cold?
Just cold with a slight breeze. I’ve covered up the big vents on the coop so snow doesn’t blow in, but they’re not tightly covered so there is for sure some ventilation.

I'm thinking if they are cold hardy they should be OK if there is no draft.

If you did decide to go with a heater I like the heat panels that look like a flat screen TV. Just enough eat to help but not over do it. Plus no risk of fire.
Slight draft but I’ve covered up the vents so breeze can’t blow in. I’ll look into those heat panels, thanks!

They’re already acclimated to the cold. They’ll be just fine. A heater is likely to make them more uncomfortable. Imagine putting on all your winter gear and going outside for an hour. You might be a little cool, but not uncomfortably cold. Now go inside, but leave your gear on for at least another hour. You don’t need to heat your chickens in their down coats.

That's probably not good.
Post pics of your coop, inside and out.
I use furnace filter mat'l to block blowing snow but still allow airflow.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ventilation-baffling.75434/
Oh I should clarify! I mean I’ve covered up the vents so a breeze will be deflected, but it’s not airtight. I simply lean some plywood against the vents, leaving some space inbetween the vents and the sides of the plywood so air can still circulate without the draft. There are some smaller vents too that are still completely open

Back
Top Bottom