Should I help baby chick hatch?

SchruteFarms

In the Brooder
Jan 1, 2018
Portland, Oregon
I am very new to hatching and one chick pipped about 6 hours ago. It was doing really well and chirping but movement and chirping have completely stopped for the last hour or so. Should I be worried? I’ve been struggling to maintain at least 65% humidity. It keeps dropping but I have the alarm on so I keep checking it.
6F96FFF6-BC1A-4472-A54F-DDBD352C2989.jpeg

Dont do anything. They rest a lot at this stage. It looks like super progress has been made by the little thing. It will be out soon enough. Congratulations!!:jumpy
Thank you!! I’m so excited and nervous! It was working SO hard and fast I was amazed! This is my first batch of BCM and EE so I’m crossing my fingers!

Do you mean that zipped one has stopped??? Finish the zip. Right away!

Once they start a full active zip, they should not stop for more than a few minutes at a time.

It looks to me like maybe you have another pip on one of your EE eggs too? Hard to see in the pic. Oh and by the way, welcome to the addictive habit of hatching eggs. I hope you have an understanding spouse/partner because you are on your way.....

Yes, the zipped chick stopped working about an hour ago. No chirps or progress for an hour.

Once they start to fully zip, they should continue and finish. Initial pip can take maybe 24 hours to get the zip started, but the zip itself should happen fairly smoothly over maybe an hour's time.
Finish chipping around like it would have zipped on its own, and remove the air cell end. It will likely push out in your hand, so be ready. Have some coconut oil or Vaseline handy in case the membrane is stuck to the feathers.

Yes, the zipped chick stopped working about an hour ago. No chirps or progress for an hour.
You should pop it out and help. it should be out by now, all of my zipping babies take at most 45 min from when they start zipping to full hatch it should be out.

Back
Top Bottom