Please help! Should I help hatching?

Wendy_Dutchie

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2020
I have three chicks that pipped on the side of the egg. See pictures. Should I help them. I can only see one alive. The one with the beak out the most hasn’t moved in some time. If I do help them how can I prevent the others from getting shrink wrapped?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. This is my first hatch ever.

3547DC11-A38A-4A29-9F1E-8526905DC4F2.jpeg

Attachments

• 9D8A56A1-669D-46A8-A48B-CF55CF0E70B6.jpeg
    9D8A56A1-669D-46A8-A48B-CF55CF0E70B6.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 2
I have three chicks that pipped on the side of the egg. See pictures. Should I help them. I can only see one alive. The one with the beak out the most hasn’t moved in some time. If I do help them how can I prevent the others from getting shrink wrapped?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. This is my first hatch ever.

View attachment 2278602
How long ago did they Pip? Sometimes it can take up to 18-24 hours for them to hatch out. Can you hear them peeping? See any movement? If your humidity level is good in the incubator and it’s been less than a Day since they pipped I’d leave them alone for the time being

x2.
We need to know when they pipped.
I wouldn't assist until day 23, or 48 hours after the first pip. Some would before then.
Hatching is tiring.

How are they doing now? It's been some hours.

I did get three out of the incubator to assist. One had already passed, it seems he pipped trough a bloodvessel and bled out. The other two I took away some shell and put them back to see if they can make ik out by themselves. See the pictures. Is there anything else I should do for these two? These pipped somewhere during the night but they all
8F92C044-79C0-4F94-973F-AD4003AB249E.jpeg
3E5E90B3-4D0F-4732-92FB-F5C51E19828C.jpeg
pipped halfway the egg.

I just realized I am in The Netherlands and you don’t know how long ago the night was. It’s 16.27 the next day so they pipped at least 10 hours ago but probably longer. The one who bled out pipped yesterday afternoon around 14.00. Pffff this is way more stressful than I thought it to be.

Do you see any blood in this one? If not you could probably help him. Do you see any yawning/chewing? I would probably just leave all of them for now. What has your temp and humidity been through incubation and has it been checked with a calibrated thermometer?
View attachment 2278722

Do you see any blood in this one? If not you could probably help him. Do you see any yawning/chewing? I would probably just leave all of them for now. What has your temp and humidity been through incubation and has it been checked with a calibrated thermometer?
View attachment 2278722

Yes this one started bleeding a little when I took some of the outer shell of so I debbed it with some cloth untill it stopped and put them both back in the incubator. I just don’t know if I should put anything on the inner membrane of these two to stop them from drying out because I am not sure they are able to get trough that if it’s dried out. They are still alive both. Thank you very much for your help @MGG 👍🏻

Yes this one started bleeding a little when I took some of the outer shell of so I debbed it with some cloth untill it stopped and put them both back in the incubator. I just don’t know if I should put anything on the inner membrane of these two to stop them from drying out because I am not sure they are able to get trough that if it’s dried out. They are still alive both. Thank you very much for your help @MGG 👍🏻
Ok. Not ready just yet then. Yes, you can apply coconut oil to the membrane. Don't get it on/in the bill though. Use a q-tip to apply it. Don't go overboard, just a small amount.

Back
Top Bottom