Should I help my ducklings?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iYammmz, Jul 3, 2016.

1. iYammmz

iYammmz Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    I've incubated 6 magpie duck eggs all of which are fertilized and we're growing strong. This is also my first time incubating eggs.

One pipped and had it's beak sticking out and naturally I left him alone. He remained like this for 24 hours and then in the morning I found him dead[​IMG] he was between 30-36 hours old.

My question is, should I help the rest that pipped over 24 hours ago. I'm about to go to bed and I don't want the same thing happening again. (Side question, do mothers help their eggs hatch)

All help is greatly appreciated [​IMG][​IMG]

2. widelacing

widelacing Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I would help. A healthy amount of time for them to wait after pipping is a few hours. Help by picking off a small bit of shell every few minutes until a ring around the egg is made, then let them push out naturally. Be careful not to pinch the ducklings and make them bleed. If that happens, wait for awhile before continuing. High temperature and low humidity are both potential causes of ducklings having a hard time hatching.

3. iYammmz

iYammmz Just Hatched

Jun 11, 2016
    Thank you.
    My gut said to help them, especially after the first death. When I've picked a hole should I spray them with water often? My temperature is 37.7C (99.86F) and the humidity is hovering around 68%

4. widelacing

widelacing Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Your humidity seems fine, so I wouldn't spray them. The humidity/temperature fluctuations probably happened a week or so ago. Let me know how it goes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by