1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I help on day 23?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BaileyBoy, Feb 11, 2014.

1. BaileyBoy

BaileyBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2014
    I was reading a few articles saying to break the egg at the air pocket and let it do its thing from there because otherwise they can get to big in the egg and deform. What do you think? tomorrow is day 23. i hear peeping but no piping. should i help it? also it isn't moving around just peeping.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    How long has it been peeping? If it's been a few hours, candle the egg, mark the air cell line, then take sharp, clean object and carefully score an X over and over on the shell, until you can get through the shell. Then take a clean pair of tweezers and break open the hole. Have a look inside and check if you can see the beak, where it is positioned etc. Put it back in the incubator and bump up the humidity to 65%+

3. BaileyBoy

BaileyBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2014
    It has been peeping since day 21 and now it is day 23. i still don't see any movement though. any thoughts

4. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    . Hiya we'll have you candled to see if there is an internal pip here is a pic [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If it pipped internally on day 21 and hasn't made progress it's not going to by the sounds of it. You're going to have to have to help the little guy then. Open the shell as I explained above, so it can get some fresh air and have a look at this article:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

It explains step-by-step how to assist and there are pics to show what you must look out for. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Looks like it has pipped internally and is probably shrink-wrapped.
    Disclaimer: I'm am not an expert!

-Kathy

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    These are what a shrink wrapped chick might look like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by