Should I help or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KC n KY, Jan 28, 2011.

1. KC n KY

KC n KY Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grayson, KY
    I have a chick that is zipped about 1-2 in, but the membrane looks hard. There are 10 other chicks in with this one, and they seem to like to SIT pn the unborn baby. It is still moving fine, but I cant tell if its peeping because of all the other chicks. I am a first timer hatching in an octagon eco. [​IMG]

2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

It could very well be shrinkwrapped.. How many other eggs do you have in there?

3. Baralak

I guess I should have read... This is the last to hatch I assume... Well how long has it been zipping? If it has been like that say for about an hour, then you might need some human intervention. What you can do with it is carefully peal away the shell FROM the top cap. IF you see any blood, or yolk STOP... If you get a good bit of the shell and the membrane is still attached, use a q-tip and warm water to paint the membrane. As it starts to soften up, carefully remove it. I use a tooth pick and slowly peal it away from the chick.

I would also REMOVE your hatched chicks before you start this. If you run into any blood, or yolk.. STOP put back in the bator.

I don't know how long you have been in lockdown, but you might have run out of water.

4. KC n KY

Oct 10, 2010
    Grayson, KY
    about 5 more viable eggs

humidity is at 62%

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  5. Baralak

Have they piped?

6. KC n KY

Oct 10, 2010
    Grayson, KY
    no

7. Baralak

Take out your hatched chicks... Remove the one that is zipping.. Make sure you have water in your bator.. Put the lid down.. Follow the instructions above.

8. Baralak

I mean replace the lid

9. KC n KY

Oct 10, 2010
    Grayson, KY
    thanx

10. Baralak

The Brinsea will recover temp and humidity quickly.. So If you do need to put water in it.. make sure it is warm water.

Post A pic of the troubled egg if you can. before and after..

Do you have a towel in your brooder, or is it shavings... If shavings, put her back in the bator.. The shavings will stick to her.. If you have a towel.. put her in the brooder under the light with her hatchmates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by