Should I help them out...edited..new info..??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I know that generally the feeling is to let mother nature take it's course. I have 3 bantam cochin eggs in the bator and today is day 21. There are no pips but they are alive. The aircell in these small eggs is VERY big and I'm wondering if they're having trouble pipping because of being stuck to the shell.

Thoughts??

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2008
  2. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    What's your humidity like?

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    If it's only day 21, leave them be. Make sure your humidity is at 70% and temps are at 100 degrees. Some breeds hatch out slower than others. They can hatch all the way up to day 25! I wouldn't try to help them just yet. They might be working on absorbing that yolk sac. They will hatch after that is finished.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Humidity is 68 - 70%. Temp is 100.

5. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Sounds good. I would wait it out!

6. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Gator, in all honesty it looks like you are in good shape. As for helping I have lost and I have gained by helping. Most of the times I helped seem like they were weaker in the leg structure by not letting them do their thing of rotating and pushing upward. [​IMG]

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Egg...thanks for the encouragement. I know you're right...I just always am concerned that I'll leave one too long without assistance and it won't make it. These are the ones that have the saddle-shaped aircell. These eggs are so small and the aircell is so large. That chick has got to be very small.

By the way, Egg...did you see my new bator? I still used the dimmer for lack of anything better. Here's the link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=66086

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008
  8. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I got out my hatching log and counted days again. I placed these eggs in the afternoon, so I didn't count that day as day 1. So day 21...which was Tuesday...was actually day 22. So today is day 22 going on 23.

There is still activity in all eggs this morning so I'm continuing to hang in. I bumped the humidity a bit more to avoid anymore moisture loss in the eggs...the aircells are already huge! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Quote:What kind do you have gump??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by