Should i help this egg out of it shell?(update)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adorable, May 27, 2010.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    I have one last egg to hatch out. All rest are hatched already. I thought this one was no good.Until i hold it up to my ear. I can hear it chirping and tapping. But that was hours ago. I dont think it can break threw. I wonder if i help it ,,,WIll it be ok. If i dont help it ,will it die in the egg. I dont want that. Or will it die if i do help it. ?HOw much longer should i leave it?

Well because i kept on here this is one...I couldnt take it anymore. I went a head and poke a hole in the shell and began peeling it away..THe chick did poke a hole threw the membrane. But when i was taking small pieces of shell off. I notice some blood. So i stopped and wrapped in a moist paper towel with its beak out and put it back in the incubator...
    What is the blood from?Now what do i do?

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I have helped many little ones out, but not until they have pipped. I have thought about poking a tiny hole in one that hasn't, but waited a day longer. Usually has pipped by then. If it's been a couple of days, maybe you best help,... it needs the air to be strong. Then go from there to see if it is strong enough to do the rest. [​IMG]

3. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Any suggestions on what to do next?How long do i leave it before i do anymore?

4. chickintexas

chickintexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    Take the egg into a hot steamy bathroom. Peel away more of the shell around the air cell but none of the membrane. How long has it been since the last time you heard a peep? I lost one last week that I wished I had intervened more on. I had crack away all of the shell from the air cell area. The chick was still alive but I couldn't make heads or tails of what I was seeing. I thought I was seeing a yolk sack. But because the chick was yellow in color, I was wrong. The poor thing's head was not positioned right in order to pip the shell. I did pull back a very tiny bit of the membrane at one point but when I saw the blood, I stopped. I wish I would have tried again about an hour later. This is my experience. I'm not saying that my experience will be exactly the same as yours. I started picking at the shell about 24 hours after the first ones had popped out. Good luck on your little guy and I'm hoping the best for you. [​IMG]

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

since there is blood wait 3-4 hours before trying again. The blood is from the membrane veins not being absorbed.

6. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Quote:Yes. I thought it wasnt quit ready. I pick it back up and dose it ever chirp.(loud) I put another layer of wet paper towel on it with just it beak sticking out. I will get it more time. THanks for everyone quick replies.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  7. steward

steward Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    Hey there Adorable, Good luck with your chickie. I just went through the same thing. Mine was the last egg from a broody that I put in the bator then had really just about given up on when it started peeping. DH heard it before I did, then it was another 24 hours or so before it pipped and then it sat for about another 24 hours with just that tiny pip. I helped it by increasing the size of the hole. My bator has a fan and the humidity was really low. I could see that the inner membrane was really dry. I filled the water channels and then put 4 sections of paper towel folded thick and wet down with warm water on top of the wire screen. The paper towel covered half or more of the surface area of the screen. I could see the chicks beak so I very carefully dripped warm water on the membrane to rewet it, and made sure it was tilted so it could not drown. then I wrapped it in warm damp towel and set it in an egg carton, and closed the bator back up. Within maybe a half hour I could see condensation on the windows. I figured that since they hatch out wet it was better that way than too dry. Well that is one tough little chickie:p[​IMG][​IMG]. Within about 2 or 3 hours it had managed to turn around in the shell and once it got a wing free and had some wiggle room it came right out. I want to stress to you though that I was very lucky because I have never done anything like this before! It looks like it is pretty healthy but I'll know more by sat a.m. Good luck to you, hope to see a good news update.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by