Should I help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Swissmiss989, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    I have a baby that piped a bit over 24 hours ago. She can't seem to get very far should I help or wait a bit longer?

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Sometimes it can take 3 days to get out, i would wait and see what happens and let nature do its thing.

3. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    I forgot to add the baby piped when my humidity was only at 54 and her membrain os very white also I dont know if that is a deciding factor too

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I would look at the chick and see if it is stuck. I have had chicks get stuck then I moisten the spot where it's stuck and take some of the shell off and be very careful not to tear the membrane. There are some if I hadn't assisted they wouldn't have made it and I have had some that were stuck and I wasn't home to help and they died in their shell and there have been a couple of times when I did try to assist and they hatched ok but died within a day or so. I try not to help and let them hatch by themselves. It's a tough call.

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I would say it shouldn't take 3 days to hatch once pipped. I would probably wait a little long though. What day are you on? I had a silkie pip while in the turner Wednesday, it was pipped way down low on the egg. I removed the turner and placed egg in hatcher, thought it was goner for sure yesterday morning, later that night it had moved its way back into the right position and started to pip again up a little higher, I did eventually help it out, after it appeared to be having trouble half way through the zipping. Two others that had started pipping at the same time had hatched way before. No other eggs are showing signs of pipping either or I won't have helped it. The chick is now resting I hope to move them to a brooder in the AM.
    Good Luck hopefully it will start to zip soon. Pip to zip should take less then 48 hours and that's being way to generous, should be just around 24 hours

6. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    It piped yesterday while I was working so it piped between 3:30 pm and 8:30. Its 24 hours will be in about a half hour. Shes trying hard this is my first I don't want to lose her.

7. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    Thank you all for your advice! My baby just hatched on her own [​IMG]

8. Sucker#1

Sucker#1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    Rapid City
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yeaaaaaaa!

9. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

:)Sooooo glad to hear this......I was biting my nails reading this thread.....LOL

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  10. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    Update! My Other woke me at 4am with another baby [​IMG] two down one to go for my 1st batch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by