Should I help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Amberly, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Amberly

Amberly New Egg

Oct 11, 2012
    I have some chicks piping. I had one that started yesterday afternoon, it has made no progress since 8 last night. I can hear it trying to peck, and chirping. Should I help it out the rest of the way or leave it?

2. Peacheschic

Peacheschic Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2013
    Redding Ca
    When are they due to hatch? If they are in a incubator, they usually start hatching on day 21, but it can take longer!

3. JoeyOsborne

JoeyOsborne Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    Cornwall, England, U.K
    also helping them make there way out can affect them i would closely monitor them and then if you decide to help it when it really needs it then do so but try to do as little damage as possible! hope this helps:)

4. Amberly

Amberly New Egg

Oct 11, 2012
    They are in the 23-24 day mark on hatching. That's why I am worried. It broke a good hole through the membrane, just a few minutes ago. Thank goodness. This is my first incubator bunch. I have never raised chicks from incubator up. We have always bought them. This is just nerve racking! lol I am so glad I have this website to learn from. Thanks for the info!

1 person likes this.
  5. Peacheschic

Peacheschic Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2013
    Redding Ca
    I wouldn't intervene unless you really have to! Try and keep the incubator closed. If it has finally cracked open the shell a little bit, then that is a very good sign! I will keep my fingers crossed! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by