Should I.. here we go.. one HATCHED!! More to go..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Aneesa's Muse, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I am contemplating trying to hatch some more eggs, but the disappointment from my first attempt is nagging and wrenching at my gut ...just not sure I can take it again.. whatdya think, folks?

I have one of the incubators regulating right now, and I can get some fertile eggs locally by this weekend ...but I'm really torn about this.

Any words of wisdom?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2008
  2. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I have no words of wisdom for you but I have to ask.......
    Do you really think people on this forum are not going to encourage you to try again!?! You have to know this place is filled with enablers!!

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Try again! Sometimes it's the little things that go wrong and spoil a hatch. Try again and keep good records so if it goes south you can look over what might have happened. I've had two bad hatches and I'm on my third hatch now. It looks really good this time. [​IMG]

4. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm sorry your first attempt didn't go well, but your next one may go better. I'd troubleshoot the possible reasons the hatch failed, maybe get a better thermometer or hygrometer, and then I'd take a deep breath and try it again. Best of luck if you do.

5. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it![​IMG]

6. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Make sure you clean and sanitize the incubator real good before you reset any eggs. Just in case there was some kind of bacteria that caused the last batch to go bad. Try to go over the things that may have gone wrong the last time. Then go for it!

[​IMG]

7. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    An old friend quoted me this one time, "there is one good thing about being down and out, there is only one way to to go and thats up and about" yes you do need to incubate again, so go for it! [​IMG]

8. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Well ..I'm supposed to be getting some eggs this weekend, so we'll see. The incubator is clean and being regulated now.

Sadly, it never malfunctioned or tripped or skipped the entire time it was running ...temps were good and steady, humidity what it should be for appropriate days ...so I don't think it was that.

It could've been the shipping of the eggs, even though they didn't travel far ..and the weather was mild, as well. It's been a very, very long time since I candled any chicken eggs, so maybe I was incorrect in what was fertile and what wasn't. Only 2 looked clear to me ..the rest were vein'y and dense, the way the pics of fertile eggs looked ..air cells intact, too.

I'll try a few more eggs and then I'm done. I love my little Sizzle and Silkie pair ..and they will probably be just fine with only two ways to share their Mah! [​IMG]

Thanks for the encouragement and the suggestions for troubleshooting the next attempt. I think I will keep a detailed journal this time and just see if I miss anything at the end of it all. It can't hurt, I guess.

~Aminah

9. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Try again! My first hatch was a bust. [​IMG] But I'm trying again, even though I felt like crap that none of them hatched. I really understand where you are coming from. Good luck with your next hatch! [​IMG] Do you know what kind of eggs you will be getting?

10. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    What's that old expression? "If at first you don't succeed, quit."?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by