Should I hobble my 6 week old emu chick?

Fi123

Hatching
May 16, 2020
I have an emu that is 6 weeks old. It hatched without difficulty and appeared healthy for the first few weeks.

However after about 4 weeks my emu chick started to develop limp (despite the fact it had never been on a slippy surface and had know known injury). I took advice and confined my emu chick to a much smaller space and have been giving it Rooster Booster every day for about a week and a half. Sadly this has made no difference. My Emu's foot appears slightly turned out when it walks. It continues to favour one leg over the other. I am very worried about it's continued lameness and wanted to ask if I should try hobbling it ? (It is now 6 weeks old).

The degree of limp is variable and I think its foot / leg is now starting to turn out a bit. If I do hobble it are there any instructions anywhere and also should I only have my emu in hobbles overnight and no during the daytime or should it be both initially. What tape do you recommiend using and how long should I apply the hobbles? Is there anything else I can do to help it (apart from limiting its space and giving it Rooster Booster each day and possibly hobbling it)?

Many thanks in advance. Fi

Do you have pictures of the legs standing from the front? It sounds like it might be a slipped tendon. Those can be hard to fix, and it can be hard sometimes to tell a slipped tendon from a leg bone deformity, such as varus or valgus, or twisted tendon in only one leg. I know nothing about emus, but most birds can have leg deformities. Getting the tendon back into place and taping or spinting daily may be helpful. Here is some info about treating a slipped tendon, and you can google the different leg deformities in poultry to see pictures:
https://www.chickenheavenonearth.co...u-can-do-to-help-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html

https://bitchinchickens.com/2019/07/15/slipped-tendon/

If you use tape get VetWrap. It doesn't stick to skin, fur, feathers, but sticks to itself so is easy to remove. You find it in the horse section. There are other similar products, even at your pharmacy.
I have a 1 week old chicken with a leg that turns out to the side. I have been trying the hobbling, she can walk and stand, but it still turns out. Those articles may help me, so thanks, @Eggcessive ....

Last edited:
If you use tape get VetWrap. It doesn't stick to skin, fur, feathers, but sticks to itself so is easy to remove. You find it in the horse section. There are other similar products, even at your pharmacy.
I have a 1 week old chicken with a leg that turns out to the side. I have been trying the hobbling, she can walk and stand, but it still turns out. Those articles may help me, so thanks, @Eggcessive ....
Thank you for your advice - do you know if Vet Wrap is the same as Cohesive tape?

Do you have pictures of the legs standing from the front? It sounds like it might be a slipped tendon. Those can be hard to fix, and it can be hard sometimes to tell a slipped tendon from a leg bone deformity, such as varus or valgus, or twisted tendon in only one leg. I know nothing about emus, but most birds can have leg deformities. Getting the tendon back into place and taping or spinting daily may be helpful. Here is some info about treating a slipped tendon, and you can google the different leg deformities in poultry to see pictures:
https://www.chickenheavenonearth.co...u-can-do-to-help-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html

https://bitchinchickens.com/2019/07/15/slipped-tendon/
Thank you for your reply. I have taken lots of photos but I don't know if they will show what you are looking for. If you need different photos please could you tell me and I will do my best to take them.

Attachments

• L from behind (seated).jpg
    L from behind (seated).jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 23
  • L from side (seated).jpg
    L from side (seated).jpg
    528 KB · Views: 23
  • L from side (standing) 1.jpg
    L from side (standing) 1.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 23
  • L from side (standing) 2.jpg
    L from side (standing) 2.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 23
  • L from side (standing).jpg
    L from side (standing).jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 21
  • both from behind (sitting).jpg
    both from behind (sitting).jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Both from front (legs bent, non weight bearing).jpg
    Both from front (legs bent, non weight bearing).jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Both from front (legs straight, non weight bearing).jpg
    Both from front (legs straight, non weight bearing).jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Both from behind (standing 1).jpg
    Both from behind (standing 1).jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Both from behind (standing 2).jpg
    Both from behind (standing 2).jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 28
Thank you for your advice - do you know if Vet Wrap is the same as Cohesive tape?
I googled cohesive tape, and yes, that is the same type. There are other brands as well, Coban is one. The kind I got has the word Flex in it, but I can't remember.
I don't know what you should do for the Emu, but if you have to tape, this is what to use. I used it on the chick, I used it on a tree I was supporting to protect the cambium. My DH used it on his wrist like an Ace bandage. It's great stuff to have around.
Good luck with your Emu! I am guessing that Eggcessive wanted photos of it standing normally.

Yes, vet wrap or cohesive bandage is very good, and it can come off easily and be reapplied. Just from the pictures of it standing, it looks like the left hock may have a slipped tendon. If the hock looks flat, the tendon may be slipped out of position. Getting it back into position and then splinting it with the vet wrap may help. Check it daily or more often. Here is a video of fixing a slipped tendon in a turkey:

But it could turn out to be a valgus deformity of the left leg which you can see pictures of in this article if you scroll down the page:
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens

Yes, vet wrap or cohesive bandage is very good, and it can come off easily and be reapplied. Just from the pictures of it standing, it looks like the left hock may have a slipped tendon. If the hock looks flat, the tendon may be slipped out of position. Getting it back into position and then splinting it with the vet wrap may help. Check it daily or more often. Here is a video of fixing a slipped tendon in a turkey:

But it could turn out to be a valgus deformity of the left leg which you can see pictures of in this article if you scroll down the page:
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens
That's a great video! It shows it up close well. I need to try that to see if that's the problem because chick's leg isn't improving w just the tape, leg goes back to side when removed. Does this hock look flat?
Hobbit.jpg upside down.jpg Hobbit taped.jpg

Back
Top Bottom