1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

should I intervene or let them be?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicks4MyFamily, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Chicks4MyFamily

Chicks4MyFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Valley City, OH
    we have 3 of 5 eggs that started to hatch last night at 6pm. One chick is out and drying in the incubator the other 2 eggs have a nice size hole of shell off, but just a hole. They are still alive...I can still hear them chirping. They don't seem to be making any progress since about 9pm. I have had a little difficulty getting the humidity as high as suggested, but wondering...do I let them alone? How long do I wait before I try to chip away some of the shell?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I have eggs hatching right now, and from experience, I can tell you that I always, ALWAYS regret it when I "help" a chick out of the egg. Try to resist helping.......IT IS SOOOO HARD, I KNOW! [​IMG]

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I wanted to add that alot of the times, they aren't totally finished "cooking" and they just aren't ready to hatch.......I would let it be for now.....

4. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Let them rest. It could take up to 24 hours for them to go from a pip to being ready to hatch. They're probably still absorbing the last bits of yolk and draining the blood supply in the vessels the grow along the membrane. I had one Wheaten Marans chick from my weekend hatch pip on Saturday night but not hatch out of the egg 'til Sunday evening.

5. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    x2 they probably are still absorbing their yolk and when are done will pop right out [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I would check them and make sure they're not stuck . If it has pipped but not started zipping it could be stuck and can't move to zip especially since you have had some humidity issues. Just my opinion.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  7. Chicks4MyFamily

Chicks4MyFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Valley City, OH
    thanks for all the advice. I put a warm wet paper towel around the pip and they both were able to hatch withouth further assistance. I think low humidity was the culprit!

8. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:Thats great!!! [​IMG] Now pics are a must!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

9. Sliprock

Sliprock Lazy L Farm

Dec 3, 2011
    Dublin, GA
    Congrats! I too am one that wants too help. I suffered major humidity issues on a few hatches this year and got terrible results. I helped one on the first hatch and she is now a big fluffy 6 month old silkie...sweet as can be. Next hatch we had another pip and stop...I waited about 24 hrs and couldnt stand it..seemed to be getting quieter and quieter...so I again attempted to play doctor...poor baby still hadnt absorbed but half the yolk and died shortly there after. Im a big ole boy...but that broke my heart...never again. I'll do all I can to assure the enviroment is right and after that its up to them....I think...lol

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Congratulations!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by