Should I intervene with blotchy eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Del1977, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Del1977

Del1977 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2015
    Australia
    Our gorgeous Muscovy duck has had her first 4 ducklings hatch in the last 24 hours with only 2 remaining that haven't pipped. Both were alive a couple of days ago, which is when they started to develop dark blotches on the air sack end of the egg. Today I can't hear/feel any movement in one but can in the other. Assuming one has died but the other seems to be alive still. Wondering if I should intervene and at least make a hole it in. Have candled it to see if there is an internal pip but can't seem to see one. They are up to day 38.

Any advice?

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Yep, I'd open the air sac end and peel some of the membrane (carefully, don't make it bleed) away to see what is happening. Hope all goes well.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Del1977 How about an update??

4. Del1977

Oct 27, 2015
    Australia
    Opened the one we thought was dead, and yes, it had died, was fully formed and had absorbed all it's yolk etc. Opened the one we thought was alive, and it was alive, but not very well. Very little movement and hardly breathing. Had also absorbed yolk sac but still had a few veins. It died not long after opening, but I think it was going to die regardless of what we did. There was very little movement from within the egg even before we cracked it.

After doing some research I'm pretty sure they had both picked up an infection from out chooks. Three out of 8 of our chooks were laying beside her dispite our best efforts to encourage them to lay in the new box. I didn't realise there was any risk as it was our first time with ducks and definately out first time with natural incubation. A few weeks into incubation a chook egg got broken spilling contents onto two of the ducks eggs. I cleaned up the mess but again was unaware of any risk. Anyway, lesson learnt, and will make sure it doesn't happen she decides to hatch more ducklings in the future.

On a brigher note, her and her 4 ducklings are doing really well and she took them for their first wander today. Tried to introduce Bob, the drake, to them but all he was interested in was mounting Pip, so I removed in from her sectioned off area.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am sorry for the 2 that didn't make it, but that can happen whether we incubate or the ducks do and thankfully most of the time it's when they are going to have problems anyway so nice we aren't the ones having to put them down.
    4Lil ducklings running around I bet your kids are so excited and love watching them with mama. I enjoy that so much.
    About Bob so very natural what your seeing either they are terrified of the ducklings and keep away or they do what your seeing and even attack the ducklings so you are very wise to keep him and his hormones at a distance.

Be sure to keep the pics coming we love baby pics.

Congratulations again to you all.

6. Del1977

Oct 27, 2015
    Australia
    [​IMG]

A pic of Pip and her ducklings on their first adventure.

Bob was also out with them and while he initially wanted to mount Pip he responded well to a firm no or two and a large tub of water to play in. The ducklings were quite eager to introduce themselves to Dad, but we had to be right there watching carefully, as although he certainly wasn't showing any signs of wanting to attack them he is so big and clumsy you he almost stood on them a couple of times. Was a lovely family outing.

1 person likes this.
  7. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    They're adorable! Glad to hear that everything seems to be going well.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are adorable . Sounds like everything is going well too. Those big feet can get themselves in a lot of trouble. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by