Should I intervene?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Luvduck, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Luvduck

Luvduck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2016
    Iowa
    Hi everyone, my duck has been sitting on eggs for a while now and it's been more than a month. My other duck keeps laying eggs in the box with her. Should I make a new box or leave them be? All the eggs have be fertile so what do I do? All the eggs are at different stages. Should of take them and incubate them or what do I do?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! With other eggs being added to the nest they will all be on different stages of incubation so when the first few hatch she will more than likely abandon any unhatched eggs to care for her young. The ideal thing to do is Mark eggs that were sat on in the first place and then remove any that are added after.this way you don't end up with a staggered hatch. If you know which ones are older you could put them in the incubator to hatch and just leave her with the originals. You could also move here to somewhere on her own so no other eggs can be added to the nest.

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

3. Luvduck

Mar 5, 2016
    Iowa
    Thank you very much, her box can't really be moved and the others have always slept in there with her.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Well communal living is not good for a nesting female. The others may kill her babies once they are born. If you can't move her, put some barriers (wire or wood) around her so they can't all share the same area. Yes, you should intervene.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. You have some good advice, so I'll just say hello [​IMG]

Good luck
    CT

6. Luvduck

Mar 5, 2016
    Iowa
    Thank you very much for all of your advice. First timer at this.

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. :frow

8. Luvduck

Mar 5, 2016
    Iowa
    Should she be able to see out and see the others? She likes to run as fast as she can outside and and then try to fly. It's quite hilarious. But should she be able to?

9. Luvduck

Mar 5, 2016
    Iowa
    Well she did it. She hatched two lovely babies[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My dad is worried about if we should separate her and them from the two others, should we? Or will it be fine? She has to go down a ramp to get out side to the pool, the food and water is inside.

10. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Beautiful babies! I'm not familiar with ducks. Try posting on the duck threads. You'll get more traffic there. Since this is the welcoming thread. Good luck! :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by