Should I introduce new hens to my older girls?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ldutch123, Nov 13, 2011.

1. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I have 11 girls and 1 sweet roo who gets pecked. I have 26 ten week old mixed breed pullets. Currently the older chickens live in their own coop and the chicks just recently moved to their own coop. My question is when or if I should mix them and let them run together? I imagine it would be very long down the road because they r not as big yet but should I?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Here's a write up on integration:https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

I generally start the introduction phase of integrations at about 12 weeks. I don't start allowing the birds to intermingle until they are about 14 weeks old. I generally finish integrations when they are between 16-18 weeks. By the end of the integration period they are about the same size.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I would let them play during the day in the run or free range together with no pressure like foods or treats. Then keep this going supervised until you feel comfortable leaving them alone and not supervised and remove the separators that divide them in the coop. The last part would be to put food down but in multiple areas so the younger kids can eat without getting hurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by