Should I Invest In a Security Camera For My Coops?

Brahma Chicken5000

Araucana Addict
Sep 26, 2017
Central New Jersey
Hi everyone, I live on a corner property surrounded by a 4 foot chain link fence. My house is also down the block from the local high school. My question is should I invest in a security camera (I’m thinking a dashcam would work)? I will have locks on my coops but I’m still nervous for my chickens. Does anyone use a dashcam or security camera to watch their coop? What brand? What other ways can I deter people? Should I plant hedges around my coops? Any help is greatly appreciated.

What predators do you have? I built a coop that was off the ground because of the raccoons and foxes in my neighborhood, and also made it a tall, covered run for hawks. We have a few locks and you can only open the run door from the inside. I would 'edit' your coop based on your predators, like I did.

I don't know anything about cameras....so this is the best way I can help you.
:idunno

The common predators in my area are a fox (which I’ve never seen but my neighbors lost 8 chickens to it), the family down the block that walks a now muzzled ex-fighting dog (not a Pitbull), red tail hawks, and my other neighbors’ cat that stares at my chickens. I will have 2 Nite Guards on my coops. They will both be off the ground.

Last edited:
@Chickengirl55 how did you make it that you can only open your run door from the inside?
6584D81E-609B-4C7D-895B-402E4CA54644.jpeg

You can see a little bit of the door on the bottom of the picture, I put a metal loop on the top of the door itself, and then a metal hook is attached to the wall of the coop just a little bit above where the hoop comes on the door, so when I flip the door up, I can slip the small hook in the hole and it’s a very strong hook that sometimes I can’t open right away because of how hard it is. It’s very protective, I punched it hard a few times before the chickens moved in, and it withstood the punches. It’s also a thick piece of wood for the door. There’s a metal hinge that is also durable. That turns the wood ‘slab’ into a DOOR and a small ramp.

The common predators in my area are a fox (which I’ve never seen but my neighbors lost 8 chickens to it), the family down the block that walks a now muzzled ex-fighting dog (not a Pitbull), red tail hawks, and my other neighbors car that stares at my chickens. I will have 2 Nite Guards on my coops. They will both be off the ground.
Everybody on our street has at least 1 dog, but they do a good job of keeping their dogs inside their yards, and most people don’t even know I have chickens yet. My neighbors that are right next to me have a sweet collie and two shy sheepdogs and they have never hurt my chickens, the first time they came into my yards and went up to the coop, I watched them because I wasn’t so sure then, but as I predicted the dogs just sniffed the poop, watched them for a minute before getting bored and playing with my 8 pound chihuahua dachshund mix who is barely a problem because she would never be able to rip through the chicken wire and she’s even a little intimidated by the chickens! :lau

Back
Top Bottom