1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I isolate new hatchery birds?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Coopmom56, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Coopmom56

Coopmom56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    Texas Panhandle
    My Coop
    I have new 4-week-old pullets arriving tomorrow or the next day from McMurray. Should I isolate them from my hens, to make sure they have no disease, or is it safe to go ahead and put them in the pen right next to my coop/run? If you think I should isolate them, how long should I do so?

I would think, coming from a certified hatchery, that they would be fine, but I do want to be safe. What would/do you do?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    They need to be isolated mostly for their own safety. The big hens will want to peck your small hens. Have them meet through a fence for a few weeks. Try searching for integration methods.

3. Coopmom56

Coopmom56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    Texas Panhandle
    My Coop
    Thank you. I have a pen ready for them next to the run, so they can see each other but not mix yet. I was asking about bio security but didn't state it clearly enough in my original post, sorry!

4. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    No worries! People have integrated hatchery chicks into their flocks for years on end. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by