should i just have my one chick, or get a campanion for him?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fporter3, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Fporter3

Fporter3 New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    i found my baby chickie, and hes doing great!! hes part of our family and gets alot of attention. sometimes thou, when i put him in his cage he crys because he wants me to pick him up. should i get another one for him? i really just wanted him, and our bond would be stronger, but now i really dont know????

2. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    chicken as all brids are flocking birds

dont keep them alone

as he is a boy anothe rboy will fight

get him some hens

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  3. Fporter3

Fporter3 New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    ok, question solved. i will get another one. but i dont even know if the one i have is male or female

4. Ourfamilyflock

Ourfamilyflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Central Oregon
    Chickens are very social and they hate to be alone, a human companion is not enough, they need other chickens. I have read that a chicken can even die of loneliness, plus they like to snuggle together for warmth and security. To be safe be sure to try to get a sexed pullet about the same age. If the little guy in your avatar is your new chick Im guessing he/she is about a week old at the most.

5. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    I found this out very quickly with my three chicks - that they don't like to be alone. I bought two silkies from someone local. There were three that hatched together and kept together. When went to pick up the silkies, I also took the mixed chick because I did not want to leave him there alone. The other chicks weren't expected to hatch for a couple of days. Well if my two kids each take a silkie out of the cage, he chirps so loud, almost like he's calling out for them and looking for them. he HATES to be alone! So I'm glad that I both a) started with 2 chicks and b) took him so he wouldn't be left alone for a couple of days. [​IMG]

6. superduperchick

superduperchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    Iowa
    As the others said, chickens hate being alone! Consider getting him a companion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by