Should I keep 1 breed Roo with other breed hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by loghomehenhouse, Aug 17, 2013.

1. loghomehenhouse

loghomehenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    NH
    I know keeping a Roo around as body guard to the girls is a good idea, but here is my question. I know that mainly it's preference, so I want to know your preference.

Do you keep a rooster of one breed with hens of another breed?

Obviously the Roo will do his thing, so that will end up with mixed bred chicks if I allow the hens to set rather than collect breakfast.

Here is what I have:

1 RR cockerel
    1 white leghorn/NH Red Cross cockerel

Then for hens I have
    Black Australorps
    RR's
    EE's
    Golden Buffs of comets (whatever they are called in your region)
    Silver laced wyandottes

So, what would you do. They are almost old enough to lay and mate.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its just fine to keep a rooster of one breed with hens of the other breed. He'll mate them, defend them, and care for them. If you ever incubate eggs from his hens, they will be mixed breeds, but being non-purebred isn't a problem if all you want is pets and/or eggs. In fact, crossbreeds tend to be hardier than purebreeds because of something known as "hybrid vigor", so that is in fact one benefit.

3. loghomehenhouse

Aug 2, 2013
    NH
    Do you allow the mixed breeding?

4. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Is RR a Rhode Island Red? If so, I would pick the Rhode Island Red rooster.

Here is another benefit of having a Rhode Island Red rooster. (You can also use other breeds for other sex links.)

Black Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Barred Plymouth Rock females.

Gold Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Rhode Island White females.

Red Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Delaware females.

Brown Sex Links are a cross using Rhode Island Red males and silver factor White Rock females.

Here is more information:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/813448/rhode-island-red-rooster-and-multiple-sex-link-types

5. loghomehenhouse

Aug 2, 2013
    NH

I don't have any of those hens but not a bad idea!

6. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Well, you can always add a few more hens. :)

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I have lots of mixed breeds here. My main rooster for a few years was a home hatched black sex link make--momma was barred rock, daddy was (not positive but likely) new hamp x buff orp. So, I started with mixes! I've put him over my Easter eggers, my ee/leghorn mixes, my hatchery wyandottes and speckled Sussex. I've got mostly barred chicks, but some are quite pretty with different colors in them. Plus, this year I hatched out a pretty barred blue hen! I have no idea where the blue came from...............

8. I allow mix breeding, my hen just hatched 3 chicks last night all mixes! She's a mix herself! I like the look of mixes! You never know what your going to get!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by