Should I keep him or not?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wyandotte96, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Wyandotte96

Wyandotte96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    Ohio
    I have a young wyandotte roo he has nice type and okay size but has bad lacing? Another problem is he has a pullet in with him and I have never seen him mount her. I have also put a older hen in with him more than once he doesent breed with them he would just fight them. I know they have to ebstablish a pecking order but his older brother {sold him same problem bad lacing} at the same age never fought he even had an older cock with him. Hope someone can help.

thanks,

Corey

2. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    If he has really good type and head shape then I would keep him. It is much easier to correct color than type. I would post a picture of him so we can have a better judgement in if you should breed him or not (A side shot, head shot, and back shot would be best). I have silver laced hens with mossing in their feathers but they have great type, head shape and size so I have kept them. I also have a female which has a lot of white but bred her with a dark male which gave me perfectly laced babies.

3. dracoe19

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    Oh I forgot to answer the lack of mating thing! How old is he? Wyandottes mature more slowly so he may just not have an interest in hens right now.

4. Wyandotte96

Wyandotte96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    Ohio
    He is about 6 months or a little more I will try and get some pics.

thanks,

Corey

5. dracoe19

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    I think he's jut not into the girls yet. I have a boy around the same age and he has no intested in breeding yet. They reach full maturity at 18 months so he sounds like he is on pace with maturing :).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by