Should i keep him

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by silkielover5, Sep 26, 2011.

1. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    so i just started breeding silkies, and showgirls. i bought poe my white silkie roo for $10 at a swap thinking he looks pretty good but his crest looks a little small should i keep him or not rate 10 for best 1 for worst quality. i have 5 of his chicks that are 2 monthes old right now, no vaults but that doesnt matter i know but so far the chicks look nice
    [​IMG]

2. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Do you have any more pictures? I can't really tell from the picture.

3. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    i can get some he doesnt like to stand still [​IMG]

4. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    first 2 are of one of his 2 month old chicks and the rest are of him please exscues his dirtyness he is about 1 year old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    He looks older than a year. Can you get a shot of his feet and legs?

He's not great. But even birds that are not great can give some pretty nice offspring when paired with the right female. It appears he has good wings. He's got a pretty nice comb if he is older than you think he is. If that one pic was oriented properly it would be easier to see him.

The first chick is going to have over shredded wings but it does look like the second one has a nice wing set. Again hard to tell totally from the pics.

6. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    Quote:the chick in the pictures are the same bird but he's a year old promise so should i keep him or not?!?

7. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    when i baught him he was 6 monthes old and we didnt have a coop set up yet so he lived in my room:)

8. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    i keep him around until u can buy something better then him he not great but he better then a lot silkies ive seen

9. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Let his chicks hit six months. For certain if they are lacking in too many areas then you are better off rehoming him and finding a higher quality male.

Like I said, he's not great. And it takes time to fix the flaws he has that could show up in his chicks. In that cockeyed photo he looks like he might have a short back (almost set my monitor on its side to get a better look) which is a plus. His ears are what throws me. I see those in my seven year old boy, King, but not in my younger males. His beard is sparse. He looks like he needs to molt. His comb is pretty good, good color, not bad shape, smooth.

Good toe spacing would be a plus as would feathers to the third toe.

Look at him when he's relaxed. Do you like what you see? If you do then wait for a bit to decide what you should do with him.

I get boys like him and have used them for breeding to see what happens. Sometimes it works out, others I decide not to use that bird again.

10. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    we also dont know what ur hen look like is he better then them or worse

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by