Should I keep my black cochens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wisdom_seeker, Sep 30, 2008.

1. wisdom_seeker

wisdom_seeker Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2008
    CT
    This last spring we purchased assorted chicks and 6 Red Sex link chicks from our local TSC. We have 9 Cochen hens left from the assorted group along with other breeds that I DO want to keep.

In August I purchased another 25 reds along with 12 Cornish cross.
    The reds are my favorite chicken for the way they act / eat and everything else they do in thier little chicken lives! They started layng at 18 weeks!

Now the Cochens I call them Black bowling balls with pants! They tended to be mean to any other breed and they are now 24 weeks and no eggs. Back when they where chicks I had to daily clean thier rear ends due to pasting [​IMG] I guess that you could say that I am not a big Cochen fan!

It says in the breeds section of this website that they will not produce many eggs. Is this true?

How much should I ask for if I try to sell them?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  2. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:If you are asking, I am just saying I think you should give them to me, I LOVE my Cochins, had one named Britches and have another names Knickers. Yep, just box em up and send em to me......

Seriously, I am surprised you say they are mean, mine are the sweetest most laid back birds. I have a Barred Pair listed for $30.00 , not saying I will actually sell them at that, but I would say $20 - $30 is fair.

3. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Well you'll get no help whatso ever from me. I'm a big big big cochin fan. I think you should do whatever you feel is best. Sometimes its best to remove a problem bird especially to keep the peace in the flock. Good luck!

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Well interestingly, we all have a bird, Cochin or otherwise, that can be mean. I think I have 7 of them at this point. [​IMG] As for keeping the Cochin, I am just begining to get into the Bantam Cochins, wondering what you feed them that can cause so much of a problem. My "kids" shift the feathers out of the way and then pooh.
    But, I have heard that Cochins take a while to lay eggs, not known for their egg laying (from what I know about them), also a breeder told me they are a great beginner bird.
    Hmmmmmmmm.
    Find a group from your area that are having a chickenstock, ask them what a good price is and go sell your buddies.

5. wisdom_seeker

wisdom_seeker Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2008
    CT
    I did not mean to offend any cochen owners. :| When we got the chicks from the store we had no idea what we would get. Because we have made an investment in the 9 cochens I would like to know, (if I decide to keep them) will they lay more than 3 eggs a week per bird? Are they typically pets or show birds? When do they start to lay? I might try craigslist but I do not want to sell them to someone who is looking for producton layers if they don't lay well.

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I guess if you are wanting eggs, just give them a little more time. But if you truly arent happy with them, its better to sell them.

7. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    my cochin girl lays about 4 eggs a week. Sometimes 5. She likes to lay them smack out on the garage floor in the same spot each time....silly bird!
    Her and my cochin rooster are 2 of my faves (but she hates to be held).
    She started laying at about 24 weeks, and every egg from her has been fertile. (I have 3 of her eggs in the bator and one under a broody girl).

I did sell 3 of my chickens that kept escaping into the neighbors yard, sold them to someone I met here on BYC they drove an hour to get the 3 of them and we sold them for $10 each.

8. squabels

squabels Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2014
    North West GA
    I just paid 10 dollars for my batham cochen hen that was laying. Bird is my least favorite out of 23 and the only one who acts like a spoiled brat. Im have her for sale now for 5 bucks and thats only because shes to small to eat. Good luck selling them, there beautiful birds but i got a dud.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by