Should I keep my Roo with My Hens???

Nuggetsowner:)

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2007
Minnesota
Ok I am new to this whole process. We have raised meat chickens before but I have never had egg layers before. I ordered a variety pack this spring that had meat and egg layers in it. I received my chicks on April 30. I now have 8 pretty hens that I have no idea what varieties they are. There are three plain white ones. Two black with sort of a teal sheen. One that is black and white spotted. One that is smaller than the rest that is red. One that is black with gold and teal around the edge of her feathers. Then there is this beautiful rooster that I have absolutely fallen in love with. He is black and white spotted with a funny, funny personality and we call him Nugget. Here is the deal...... We got these little beauties for the eggs. I have been told we should not keep the rooster if we want the hens to lay for us. Is this correct. Will this cause a problem? Will the girls not lay if Nugget is kept in with them? They have a 12x14 outdoor run and a 6x6 indoor coop for them. Do you think we will have to find Nugget a new home? It would break my heart:(

Where are the PIX!!! Everyone wants to compare your chicken Nugget to Carries Chicken Nugget! lol
lol.png

We can't really help you on what your birds are without pictures, we can give you a general idea. Also who did you get them from McMurray?

Welcome to the Forum Nugget!

Bubba

I cant imagine who in the world told you that your hens wouldnt lay with a rooster in with them.

In fact, most folks think a hen wont lay WITHOUT a rooster, which is not true either. They will lay eggs either way.

I am not allowed roo's, but would love to have one, if they are a good rooster, they are good for protecting the girls (they are on the lookout all the time) from danger, they herd them back in at night, etc. I think most folks that can, have roos and and love them dearly as long as they are not mean.

So no reason to get rid of him. Keep him and enjoy his antics.

smile.png

Jill

Thanks for all the great info! I will post some pics of my flock soon! I just took some yesturday! I have been at work all morning and need to shower but will download them soon!
big_smile.png
I have learned just how addicting chickens are! My whole family has really grown to love them, even my husband!!
lol.png
I was so worried not that the girls would not lay, but that they would not give up the eggs! Does that happen?

Yes by the way, we did get them all from Mcmurray. We have ordered from them twice now and have been happy both times. We have no idea what kind of laying hens or rooster we have but let me tell you this.... I really don't think you could find 9 more spoiled chickens out there! That brings me to another question. Is It unhealthy for chickens to eat too many veggies?? I have an herb garden that they eat cuttings out of every day as well as scraps of cukes or tomatoes or peppers or whatever. Is that OK? Is it possible to give them too many treats?
hmm.png
I also give them regular feed and some scratch each day. Oh and they have a dish of oyster shell available as well.

Back
Top Bottom