Should I keep new chicks from different places separated?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HumphreyEggs, Mar 10, 2015.

1. HumphreyEggs

HumphreyEggs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2015
    Opelousas, LA
    I'm getting new chicks soon - four from my friend and four from another person - and I just want to be sure if I should keep each group separated and quarantined off from each other for awhile, the same as if they were adults. Can anyone tell me?

2. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    If you trust the sources and plan to make one flock of adults then i do not see the need to quarantine. I mixed my flocks from 2 breeders without any issue but i also visited both breeders and knew they had healthy flocks.

3. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    For me - it would depend on how old they were when they showed up at my house - if they were only a few days old, I'd keep them together. Any older than 2 or 3 days, they'd be seperated.

4. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I would separate any groups that are greater than a week or a week and a half apart simply because size matters. If one group is older than the other they could pick on the younger ones. As far as disease possibilities, that's pretty low especially if you know who you are getting them from and those people take good care of their chickens.

5. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    It's not just an issue of people taking good care of their birds - birds from different places have been exposed to different things. The birds from the farm down the street will have some immunity to the Coccidiosis on your property, but birds from a hatchery won't - and the local birds wont have immunity to the strains hatchery birds are immune to.

When you put a bunch of those birds together and they eating and pooing, they're exposing each other to everything in their digestive tracts - you want to expose them slowly to these things, and ideally when they're not under stress from flock integration. With chicks that are a day or two old - they really haven't been exposed to anything, so you don't need to worry too much - but past that - you should quarantine.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  6. HumphreyEggs

Jan 21, 2015
    Opelousas, LA
    Okay thank you guys very much!

7. HumphreyEggs

Jan 21, 2015
    Opelousas, LA
    We have to drive an hour each way to pick up some of the chicks we're getting, so does anyone have suggestions about keeping them warm on the trip? How concerned should I be about it?

8. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    A nice fleecy blanket on top or around the box? But not blocking the airholes of course...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by