Should I keep one? ***PICS ADDED***

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bobbi-j, Aug 12, 2010.

1. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I'm not sure if this is the right place, or if it should be in Predators & Pests or Diseases, so feel free to move it if necessary. Yesterday I posted a question about Light Brahmas - got some from a neighbor, want to keep one for a flock rooster. As I was observing them today, I noticed that several of them have red spots on their legs. Any idea what this is, or how to treat it? Or should I just butcher all of these and find another Lt. Brahma in better condition? Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you mean like mites? Or red coloration on their legs??

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    If they are moving spots they are mites. easily treated with vaseline & seven dust.

If they are red spots like sores I don't know - could still be mites as they dig under the skin.

Try this - find the one you want & slather his legs in vaseline. Then again in about 3 or 4 days. By day 7 or 8 they should be looking better. If they are in very bad shape it may take a couple weeks to heal.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    They're not moving spots like mites, more like red areas on the legs.... I'll try to get some pictures. All of the birds look pretty rough. I think they've been pretty much fending for themselves for a while. That, and they were in a crate for a good portion of the day and the night before in 90 degree heat. I couldn't get them till afternoon, and they were crated the night before. Yeah, I'll put some pictures up.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    OK, these are the best ones I could get. They weren't too thrilled with modeling for me...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Does the skin look broken or irritated?

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Many feather footed birds, especially ones with white or light yellow skin, end up with red "irritated" legs where the feathers come out. I think the movement of foot feathering results in red scales/skin where they emerge. Looks normal.

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Crawfordmama - The skin looks intact and not irritated or inflamed.

Silkiechicken - Thank you. I'm not real familiar with Brahmas. I've had cochins but hadn't seen anything like this on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by