Should I KEEP the ISA BROWNS or the Golden SEXLINKS?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicky gal1, Apr 29, 2009.

1. chicky gal1

chicky gal1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    ok I have 5 of each of these and only want to keep 5 total. What would you do? does anyone know which of these chicks have the stripe down thier backs? one has a stripe and one is just plain golden. I have a friend who I can give the extra 5 to, just can't deceide which ones to keep for us!!

2. chicky gal1

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    also, does anyone know.. do they both lay the same amount of eggs?

3. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Why should you have to choose between the two. Keep a mixed group and give the rest to your friend.

4. chicky gal1

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    I have to keep all the same so I can tell them apart. I hear they look very much alike! [​IMG]

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I like the looks of the Goldens over the Browns. As for egg laying ability, I think they are about tit for tat.

6. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Why is that so important?

7. chicky gal1

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    Thanks I was thinking the Golden's were a bit "prettier". do you know if Golden's have the stripes on their backs as chicks?

8. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I dont get why it matters if you can tell? But you could always put a leg band on some. I would keep some of each too. You may like one breed better than the other and won't know if you only keep one type.

9. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    If you go to www.feathersite.com and, then, go to chicken breeds and click on ISA browns OR Gold Stars (aka, sexlinks), you can find out more about them. You can also see pictures of chicks at the bottom of the page to see if you see ones like yours.

10. New adventure

New adventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Pueblo, Colorado
    I couldn't find pictures of the ISA brown chicks in my catalogs but in the Meyer catalog, the Golden chicks seem to be all one color. Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by