Should I keep them cooped?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JoyfulChaosMama, Sep 20, 2011.

1. JoyfulChaosMama

JoyfulChaosMama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    I just added 8 pullets to my flock. They are just beginning to lay, some, obviously already are because I'm finding eggs in the barnyard. The hens from my original flock lay in the nesting boxes very well. They can come and go from the coop to the barnyard as they please. If I keep them cooped for awhile, will the get the drift and lay in the boxes? How long do I need to do this, esp. since I don't know which are laying and which are not? Thanks!

~Lisa, raising Children and Chickens on a little farm in Michigan

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If you have room in your coop, I'd suggest keeping them in there for a week or so, and they will probably figure it out.

3. JoyfulChaosMama

JoyfulChaosMama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    Thanks! Just after I posted this question, I went out to watch them for a bit. I saw a bunch of the run at something and peck at it in a fury...expecting to see a big grasshopper or something, I went closer only to find the eating an egg!!! I shooed them away, gathered the shell and ground the rest into the dirt. They are all now in the coop - I'll leave them there the rest of the week or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by