Should I keep them in the coop to train them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Studio2770, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    3 out of my 5 white leghorns have large red comb, one of the other 2 is reddening and growing her comb while the other one is still mild pink. They are around 18 weeks old. There have been decoy eggs in the boxes for a couple weeks now. The oldest pullet has started squatting, the younger 2 squat sometimes too. Should I keep them in the coop for a bit longer than usual so they investigate the boxes?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Do you mean if you should keep them in the coop or run longer in the morning? When pullets start laying they don't really lay on a schedule. In general, if your birds are in a run, it probably doesn't matter if you keep them up, as long as there aren't any places in the run for them to hide eggs. If you free range your birds and you have a run, it would probably be a good idea to keep them in the run until they start laying reliably in the nests. If you free range but don't have a run, you have to be sure your nest boxes are really really inviting. Have fun waiting for that first egg to show up.

3. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Yeah, or whenever I have to herd them in to let the dogs out. They do have a run and free range. I am checking around the yard to make sure there's no Easter eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by