Should I keep them locked up?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PAchickenlover, Jul 17, 2011.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Ok so last week one of my SS hens did not come back to the coop one night. She returned the next day.. Sat. night either the same one or one of the other two SS did it again.. Just caught her a little while ago. Now we have two chicken coops one has a fenced in area (which ALL of my hens are in right now) and the other is just a shed that has been transformed into a coop and has no fenced in area yet. Now I am wondering should I leave all of my hens in the fenced in area for a few days till they get the message that they have to return there or should I just let them decide. Now the majority of my hens were chicks this spring, so they are just getting to the laying age... Do they need to be "trained" about being in the coop to lay? I have never had a hen do this before and any opinions will be appreciated.. Thank you in advance!

Oh yea two nights ago we trapped a huge Raccoon so that is why I am worried about them staying out also.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Sometimes they get broody and lay eggs in secret somewhere. Do you have a rooster?

3. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    We have about 10 roosters right now. But none of them were missing from the coop. They all came back in for the night.

4. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Danger zones should always be secured and so should the hens and you are in a danzer zone having coons at night. They are evil and chicken is their favorite food. Pen them in at night and if you see coons during the day then they have rabies since coons are nocturnal.

5. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    We always close the doors to the coops at night and try to make sure that everyone is secure. I have never seen a coon during the day here and if I did it would meet up with either a shotgun or .22 then I would call animal control.

Will keeping the hens locked up for a couple of days help to teach them that is where they belong? Or should I keep them in there longer than a few days?

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Raccoons hunt during the day as well as at night. Especially this time of year when they often have babies to feed. So do foxes. It does NOT mean they are automatically rabid.

7. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    true, true, but who wants to take the chance that it is rabbid?

8. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Any other suggestions?

9. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    A couple of summers ago I had a few hens that started roosting in the trees. First one did it and then the others started. They still went in to the nesting boxes to lay their eggs. I'm not sure how high coons or foxes can climb ???

10. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I know that one of my SS's started laying a week or so ago. I have not gotten an egg from any of them since that one time...Other than my two loyal layers that always return to the coop to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by