should I keep water in the coop during the winter?

eggsr4me

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 11, 2013
I have heard I should keep water in the coop with a heater for the winter and then I have heard not to do that. What advice does the rest of you have who have raised chickens before. This is my first winter with chickens. Do they need to go out of the coop in the winter? They seem to want to stay in...any help is appreciated!

I keep feed in the coop to keep it dry, and water in the run cause it makes a mess. I can't comment on your specific set up without more details. I don't heat my water in the winter, I carry hot water out twice a day to melt ice. that gives them a nice window to drink.

I have a 5 gallon bucket with nipples in the run and my thoughts were to keep added moisture out of the coop, its heated and works great, the main feeder is outside as well but I do have a small feeder inside, if they seem to want to stay in try putting plastic around the run to block the wind, I used clear shower curtains it blocks the wind and lets the sunshine in and kind of gets the greenhouse effect going.

Thanks for the advice. I do keep food in the coop to keep it dry and I will try putting the water outside. I want to do the right thing and keep my hens and roo happy and healthy. I was thinking about putting some plastic around the coop to block the wind. any other suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom