Should I keep???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ctcasper, Jun 2, 2008.

1. ctcasper

ctcasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have two barred rocks, one that is obviously a roo..though he is not crowing yet like all of my buffs (13 roos and only one isn't crowing) Anyway my second BR is not crowing either and looks a bit different than my roo..."she" has darker barring on her head and the comb hasn't grown much at all since about 8 weeks. Here are a few pics of the two of them. Do I have a BR hen. We are butchering on Friday, is it worth keeping "her" to see?? We live in the country so there is really no limit as far as roos go that way.

Tweet Tweet our obvious rooster whom we have come to love, he is so gentle, will let you hold him and is good for the kids.
    8 weeks
    [​IMG]

Here's my mystery barred rock....hoping it is a hen, but really not expecting it. Just want to know if I should keep it and see.
    8 or 9 weeks
    [​IMG]

And here is comparison pics

These were taken a couple weeks ago...since then, the darker BR's comb and wattles has not grown at all while Tweet Tweet's has grown a lot. THe darker one has a smaller comb and wattles than any of my BO or Tweet Tweet. The only thing is it does have a few shiny saddle feathers, so I am not sure if a hen can have shiny saddle feathers or not. It has me really stumped, I want to post pics because this isn't good comparison pics compared to how different they look right now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any opinions.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  2. eggcochin_freak5

eggcochin_freak5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Georgia
    um the one that you hope is a hen.....looks like a roo.....but it might not be....who knows [​IMG]

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I think they are both roos. My 9wk old BR pullet has barely visible wattles and almost no comb development.

4. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I would keep her, I think you have one of each. I have 25 barred rocks same age, and 1 rooster. some of the girls have bigger combs than the other, but nothing as big as my rooster. what about the feet? When they are smaller you can tell cause the feet look different on rooster than hens.
    I think it is darker feet on the girls... lighter on the roosters. thats how I figured out my rooster.

5. ctcasper

ctcasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    At 8 or 9 weeks I was sure that it was a roo too. I wish I could post pics now, they are just so different looking. What age do BR roos start crowing? IS it normal to be later than the BOs?

6. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I got my barred rocks in march and rocky started crowing about a month ago...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They are both cockerels.

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Look at the curved tail feathers on those two nice young cockerels.[​IMG]

9. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    They both look like Sunday dinner to me.

Rufus

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by