Should I leave the eggs in the carton are take them out?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BENNY, May 11, 2011.

1. BENNY

BENNY Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    I am getting ready to lockdown 12 RIR fertilized eggs in a homemade incubator where they have been turned 3 times daily. Tomorrow will be 18 days were I have watch the temperature

and haave kept the eggs in a dozen eggs carton with the top removed. Now that they will soon hatch, should I leave them in the egg carton or lay the eggs out flat? Thanks for any advice.

Benny

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    If you do not have a fan installed on your incubator, leave the cartons in there...

If you HAVE a fan, then you can take them out or leave them... Either way...

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm learning, why does the fan make a difference with the egg carton?

4. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    If you have a fan, then the temperature is even throughout the incubator.. If you DO NOT have a fan, then you measure the temperature at the top of the eggs to be roughly 101 degrees... The lower portion is much cooler than this top measured portion... So if you laid the eggs down from where they were once 101 degrees on top the egg, now they would be about 96 degrees on the top of the egg...

The carton maintains the same distance between the egg and heating element that the turner provided... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by