Should I leave the eggs in the duck house?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GoldDogsMom, Mar 1, 2013.

1. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    This is my first time for raising ducks with a drake so I have some questions.

Should I leave the eggs and will one the hens start to sit on them after there are a few or will they stay on the first egg if they are ready to set eggs?

I hope that makes sense...

2. cosbackyard

cosbackyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I'm no expert and I'm sure others will have better advice but:
    My girl ducks would not sit on the eggs after just one. The only time I had one actually sit was when I was away for a couple of days and a few eggs collected. But then she got broody and that wasn't fun. She became really cranky, hissed when you got near the eggs, and hardly ever got off them.

For what it's worth - when I plan on hatching eggs I'll take them and incubate them myself.

3. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Thanks cosbackyard! I really want them to hatch some ducklings...I think I will continue to collect the eggs for another month or so and then leave them and see what happens. Was your duck really friendly before she went broody?

4. cosbackyard

Feb 20, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Friendly? Hmm... I think the Campbell breed is a little skittish. Even though I raised them from a day old they only came over to me when I sat down. To be fair, though, I am a giant. None of my ducks were the 'sit in your lap' types.

That said, when she started to sit on those eggs she was positively anti-social towards us and the other ducks. I think that's just brooding behavior but I don't know too much about it. I'm sure that her eggs would have hatched with her on them except that it happened to be december and a cold one at that.

I wish you luck with your hatching. I'd love to see how it goes.

5. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Thanks again for your advice! My Rouens are friendly-not sit in your lap friendly but run to you when they hear your voice friendly . If I am late (past dusk) going out to put them to "bed" they actually come looking for me! I just hope whoever goes broody will allow the other 3 to come in the duck house at night-might have to add on to give her some extra personal space!

6. cosbackyard

Feb 20, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You'll have to share the results!

For what it's worth - in my case I had a small coop at the time and the broody duck had no problem with the other ducks. Just people :)

7. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I wil definitely share results! Good to hear your broody allowed her flock to still sleep in the house!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by