1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I Let her Hatch this time of year??? Suggestions Wanted

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tail_feather, Dec 12, 2009.

1. tail_feather

tail_feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    I have raised many chicks with hens during the summer. However, I have never let one stay broody and hatch this time of year. I have a hen that just went broody a few days ago, and I would like to set a few eggs if possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG] Thank you!

2. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    What's the weather like there? I wouldn't try it here in Reno but if your weather's not bad and you have a draft free, warm area for her to raise them... Why not?

3. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    I would think in your location, with good shelter she would do just fine.

4. tail_feather

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    well, the past few nights has gotten down to 20 degrees. Tonight is not suppose ne below 38 deg. but i have a large feed room, draft free that i can let her stay with the chicks in for as long as i need to.

5. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    It will be fine as long as you take them off when they hatch and put the hen and chicks in a brooder in a barn or shelter where the wind and rain wont get to them.

6. BDDC4

BDDC4 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2009
    My hen went broody mid-November and I live in upstate NY. This winter has been bitter cold so I never thought the eggs would hatch. Well, one did so far. I then brought Mama and her baby into the house. The hen continues to sit on 3 eggs and I hope one or two hatch so baby Nora has a buddy. I called the chick after my sister, Nora, who survived a very bad roll over motor vehicle accident 3 days after Thanksgiving.

Life is good.

7. tail_feather

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    great!!! thanks again for all the help!!! [​IMG]

8. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I had a hatch about three weeks ago and all is well. Momma keeps the chick covered up at night and they do the chicken thing in the coop during the day. No brooder and extra heat only if it gets in the teens or colder. The extra heat is only because of the chick.

Forgot to mention. They are outside.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by