Should I let her sit??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MakNat, Jan 7, 2010.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    My 'ol faithful good mommy muscovey hen Dolly is really wanting to sit. Well she has been for a week now, on nothing. All the girls started laying in the same nest about 3 weeks ago. Being winter, I was taking the eggs away and figured they would get over it. Well Dolly has a bunch of feathers in the big cozy nest and No eggs. I feel really mean. I am getting 1 duck egg a day now, so I thought I might gather for 3 days and just give her 3. Is it bad to let them sit on nothing??? Will she sit forever? I mean not really forever, but you know what I mean... I'm not really ready for ducklings but she sure is, I guess 3 won't be too big a deal. Shes just so sweet and I don't want her to be sad or whatever she my feel... Though about putting chicken eggs under her, but decided against that..

2. kingpincray

kingpincray Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Palmerston North
    Go on [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] you know you want to you can always sell the ducklings or give them away if you haven't fallen for them after they hatch [​IMG]

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    let her sit....give her some eggs to sit on. it's in her nature. count yourself lucky that she is a good mommy wanting babies.

4. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Is there a drake in the flock so it won't be totally futile? [​IMG]

Also, do you have all muscoveys? because I think their eggs go a few days longer than the other duck eggs so you'll want to make sure they are all the same or it might be too many days between hatchings?

Just my quick thoughts.

5. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Drakes, yes. And all muscoveys. My DH wasn't too happy about it, but I decided to give her only a few!! At least that way there will be plenty of room for her to snuggle to keep them extra warm. 35 days for scoves. Last year she hatched 27 herself then 2 days later adopted 8 more from a young hen who hatched them and had so interest in raising them!!

6. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    [​IMG] Duckies coming. I guess just make sure she has a nice warm spot to raise them since it will be right in the middle of winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by