Should I let her try again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mortimer, May 14, 2009.

1. Mortimer

Mortimer Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    SW of Wichita, KS
    OK, so we had our first broody about two weeks ago. Put her in her own sectioned-off area of the coop, plenty of food/water/fresh bedding and sit her on 9 eggs.

I noticed 2 eggs off to the side around day 8 and removed them on day 10 or so. Candled the others and they looked great!

Today (day 14) I went out to collect eggs and she's torn her nest to pieces! Two broken/eaten eggs on the ground outside the nestbox, one broken inside, the remaining four still in the nest but covered with egg mess. She happened to be up & eating at the time I went in otherwise I may not have noticed.

Now, an hour later, she's back to sitting on the remaining 4 eggs but I can't imagine they'll make it as dirty as they are. She *seems* to still be broody despite the egg carnage around her nest.

So what now? Should I give her some more fresh ones and let her try again, maybe with a smaller clutch? Been 3 weeks now since she started showing signs of broodiness, will she last another 3 weeks? Or is she just not meant to be a mother?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  2. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    The others were probably bad. In my great broody experience, which is a long time with my grouchy girls, they always seem to know the good from the bad. They will seperate them, or get rid of them somehow, and hatch the rest. I wish we had that kind of intuition while incubating...

3. Mortimer

Mortimer Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    SW of Wichita, KS
    Yeah, I figured the ones she kicked out were bad -- what do you think are the chances for the remaining four? Her nest was a mess, yolk & eggshells everywhere, I cleaned up as best as I could but the remaining eggs are covered with mess, and I'm afraid to wash them

4. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    They'll be fine. have you candled them yet to see what's going on in there?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by