1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should i let him?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by conny63malies, Apr 29, 2009.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I have a six week old serama cockerel. A extremly tiny fellow, about the size of a two week old standard chick, maybe 3-3.5oz. He lives with his two future wifes which are dutch bantams. Every time they see me they want out of their enclosure, which is still the brooder for now, the coop is almost done. Just need some roofing on it.
    Anyways when they get out the girls like to sit on my knees first and then stroll around a bit. But Titan(the mini serama) will jump onto my shoulder. Am i asking for trouble letting him do that?
    He is a good future rooster. He guards them eventhough they are three times his size. He will attack any other animal be it my cat , another chick or his mirror image.
    Should i only allow him to sit on my hand? I dont want to be attacked by a micro roster one day that has a ego problem

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    It could be a problem so close to your face. If he is showing signs of aggression (I call it testosterone poisoning), I wouldn't let him sit on my shoulder.

3. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I thought he might think that i am part of his harem.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:And what a lovely hen you are!!

5. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:And what a lovely hen you are!!

i dont need another ...., OMG you just gve me an idea. I gots to rename him Napoleon. the little dude with a complex

6. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    ALL of my sweetest roosters love my shoulder. None are agrressive.

7. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:I got a question . A cockerel that is six weeks old and weighs about 3.5oz-4oz as of right now, he is fully feathered out if it helps, how much can i expect him to weigh fully grown?

8. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    All my roos are non-aggressive..the ones that are not handled alot are just a little flighty, not mean, and my 2 year old is in there all the time messing with the breeders. I dont think that I have ever had an aggressive Serama.....

Im not sure about the size thing...my 6 week olds last year were all about the same size and by 4-5 months you could tell they were different sizes for sure. I ended up at 7-8 months with 2 very small A's (one roo and one hen--think they may be considered Micro's?) A few hens that were in the A class range, mostly B's and one very nice C class roo.

Do you have a picture of him?

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    He might just put your eye out with a casual curiosity peck. Not attack behavior, just an iquisitive nibble. I wouldn't EVER keep a chicken within pecking distance of my eyes, for any reason. Wear safety goggles if you must let him be "cute" at that close range.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with onthespot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by