Should I let my broody sit again

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by David Normandy, Aug 7, 2014.

1. David Normandy

David Normandy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2014
    Hello!
    I have a chicken coop in northern France and I just started letting the chickens hatch chicks this year with some success, especially with my two silkies. However I have a big Sussex hen that went broody and hatched three chicks, the next day a weasel got into the coop and ate them :'(. This was the first time this happened in the year since I've had the chickens but I'm determined to do the next brood in the house in a dog kennel to keep it from happening again. The problem is that my Sussex has not given up broodiness and insists on having chicks. I'm ready to let her have a go again in my house but I'm just not sure if she'll be able to do three more weeks without serious health risks, HELP! I've tried two days in a wire bottomed cage to no avail and I think she's determined to be a mom. Any suggestions? Experiences?

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry for the loss of the chicks. If this is her first hatch, I would be concerned that she will give up before the three weeks needed for new eggs to hatch, (plus how long it has been since hers died and how long it will take you to get her new eggs) so you are looking at 7-8 weeks? ... Sussex ime are really good broodies and very dedicated, but for a first time hen it may be asking a lot... there is really no way to know if she will stick unless you try. If she is in good health and eating and drinking well now, the physical part would not worry me that much if just another three weeks or so. Have you considered finding some new chicks for her? Most hens will adopt newly hatched chicks.

1 person likes this.
  4. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]
    Sorry about your chicks. I agree with Kelsie. With the timing you may have luck withe new chicks, just sneak them under her at night slowly.

1 person likes this.
  5. David Normandy

Aug 7, 2014
    Thank you for your quick reply, I'm new to chickens and its so nice that I found this forum! I have some fertile eggs that I want to have her sit on, it's only been three days since she lost hers and she's coming out to eat and take a dust bath once a day. I rather not get new chicks honestly, but if you think it's worth a try I can get her new chicks if she gives up this time 'round. What do you think?

6. David Normandy

Aug 7, 2014
    Thank you for your quick reply, I'm new to chickens and its so nice that I found this forum! I have some fertile eggs that I want to have her sit on, it's only been three days since she lost hers and she's coming out to eat and take a dust bath once a day. I rather not get new chicks honestly, but if you think it's worth a try I can get her new chicks if she gives up this time 'round. What do you think?

7. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Do you just not want other chicks, or no chicks at all? If you decide to go for it and she gives up have an incubator ready for eggs or a brooder ready for chicks.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

BayBay Peepers X2 You could let her set on these eggs and if she gives up too early, you could always be ready with the incubator and brooder.

Good luck with your broody and what ever decision you come to. :)

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If she gives up setting on the new eggs you give (ie quits on the eggs after a week), there is a good chance will not adopt chicks at that point by the time you get them either since she has "quit", and now you have a failed broody ... it is not something I like to do with a first time hen that I later want to use a broody ... she may be fine on her next try when she goes broody again, or she may not ... it just isn't giving her the best chance to be good and successful in the long run.
    It really just depends on what you want to do, if you get her new eggs, X3 have an incubator ready if you want to hatch them if she quits early... if you get her new hatched chicks now you have a good chance of her adopting them.
    Being a Sussex, I would really expect her to go ahead and stick for the next three weeks, but ... chickens don't always do as you have planned so be prepared for common problems.

10. David Normandy

Aug 7, 2014
    Ok, I have an incubator and two broodies just in case she gives up, I think I'm going to give it a try! Thank you so much for your time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by